Friday, August 24, 2012

Matai's Birthday- #4

Matai wanted another Thomas the Train cake for his birthday. I had made a smaller Thomas the Train cake last year- but was not very successful. So this time I searched the internet to find better instructions- but still no luck. Well after contemplating on how to design the train out of cake, it finally came- I knew exactly what to do. This time I decided to take a somewhat step by step process so I could remember for myself in the future. Matai enjoyed watching the process form into his train cake. I knew I had accomplished the design successfully, because Matai was so proud of his Thomas the Train cake.
I used two 9 inch round cake pans, and then cut one in half and started cutting other pieces to build the train. I had a picture of the train to get the idea of what the body looked like.
Then I realized that a giant Marshmallow was a better front for the train. Easier to add than to figure out how to mold. Then we began the gluing process with the frosting.
I frosted the whole thing blue- I know it could have been a darker blue, but I'm a mom that utilizes what I have around me, and the plain old generic blue worked just fine.
So I may have improvised a bit, but all in all, my four year old loved it!
The boys looking at the new gifts.
Dad looking a bit tired after working a grave yard shift on the train.
Happy Birthday my Matai!

3 comments:

Jo Jo said...

I miss those cute fun cake birthdays! Now it's just about getting a cake that tastes good!

Aubrey said...

Very cute and good job documenting the process. You've done such an amazing job making the cakes look like cars, trains, dinosaurs - you name it.

Cobbs Hill said...

Wow Amy- great job on the cake! Matai is so big! I can't believe he's 4!! Elisapeta looks so cute too :)