Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Merry Christmas!



































































This Saturday was a fun filled with Christmas events and Sai's Basketball game. We began the day with a Breakfast with Santa. This was a breakfast presented to the whole town by the People's Church. They started the kids off with a great story about the baby Jesus and Santa. Then we had doughnuts and juice. Unfortuately we didn't get to stay and have pictures with Santa or do and crafts, because we had to get to Sai's basketball game. But we had a wonderful time starting our day off with the story of Jesus and being around the people of Spring Hill.
After Sai's game we headed home to work on our Saturday chores. We got them finished just in time to go to the Spring Hill Christmas Parade. Two of our family friends- the Uncks and the Allens came with us to the parade. The parade began at 5:00pm so that it would be dark enough to see the pretty christmas floats go by.
The one thing that Paki and I realized as the floats were going by was that people were saying Merry Christmas. And many of the floats had the words Merry Christmas written on them or the words Jesus is born. Now ofcourse this sounds completely normal to many. But for me- I grew up in a area of Massachusetts where at some point when I was a teenager, people began generalizing the Christmas holiday with saying Happy Holidays or using winter holiday to generalize the month. Many communities began to do this because they didn't want to hurt other peoples feelings of different religious backgrounds. After a while my family and I began to just say Merry Christmas anyway. But to be able to say Merry Christmas without any aqwardness, is refreshing. So to be living here in the "Bible Belt," I enjoy hearing the ring of "Merry Christmas." It truly brings Christ back into the meaning of Christmas, for that is why we celebrate Christmas.

3 comments:

Joy said...

I agree. I love hearing Merry Christmas. It is a perk that comes from being in Utah also. Love it!

Holly said...

Wahoooooo! You updated!!!! I am so glad to see the pictures of the parade you told me about! I love the pictures and what a fun tradition! I also quite enjoyed seeing more pics of your trip to MA! I just love seeing your mom, she is such a sweet lady and she looks so good! (I hope she sees that)
Love ya!

Becky said...

I've MISSED YOU! Thank you for posting again. My sister Amy wrote about the same thing in Ohio. Makes me happy that there is still some goodness in this world. :) Don't stay away so long next time. How is that cute baby of yours?